02/18/2005 3:52 AM
Griffins Players to Wait on Applebees Patrons, Raise Funds for Big Brothers Big Sisters
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. The Grand Rapids Griffins will present their fourth annual Tip-A-Griffin fundraiser on Tuesday, Feb. 22 from 6-9 p.m. at five local Applebee's restaurants.
That night, at least 28 Griffins players, coaches and staff members will trade their sticks for food trays to serve Applebee's patrons as waiters or bartenders. All tips and donations received by Griffins personnel and Applebee's employees during the night will be donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Grand Rapids. Since 2002, Tip-A-Griffin has raised in excess of $33,000 for local charities, including a record $13,083 for BBBS during last years event.
The Griffins will be dispersed to these participating Applebee's restaurants (lineups subject to change):
Beltline (3250 Grand Ridge Dr. NE)
Alpine (3851 Alpine Ave. NW)
Brad Thompson Equipment Mgr.
Wyoming (1375 28th St. SW)
Cascade (4955 28th St. SE)
Rob Snitzer Medical Therapist
Rivertown Crossings (4488 Potomac Ave. SW)
Chris Cichocki - Assistant Coach
Greg Ireland Head Coach
In addition, all proceeds from the event's live and silent auctions will be donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters. Items up for bid include:
Custom designed, jersey-inspired aprons that each member of the Griffins will wear during the event. Each apron will be autographed by the Griffins personality and made available during a live auction at each restaurant beginning at 8 p.m.;
All five locations will offer each of the following though silent auctions:
- a ride on the Zamboni at Van Andel Arena;
- a visit to the press box with broadcaster Bob Kaser;
- a chance to watch pre-game warm-ups from the Griffins bench;
- a helmet autographed by the Griffins;
- and a round of golf with cart for two persons at Boulder Creek Golf Club.
Among the other items available through silent auctions at select locations are:
- four pairs of Waterford Crystal wine stoppers (donated by URS Corp);
- two autographed books by Dave Ramsey and a 105-piece tool set (WOOD Radio);
- one nights stay at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel;
- one years supply of Purina One dog food (Purina and Meijer)
- Niklas Kronwall 2005 AHL All-Star jersey (American Hockey League)
- My First Viper remote-controlled car and a Jeep soft side deluxe cooler (Van Andel Flikkema);
- Griffins team autographed jersey (Comerica Bank);
- Head tennis racket with case and a putter (MC Sports).
Big Brothers Big Sisters of D.A. Blodgett Services for Children is greater Grand Rapids leader in one-to-one youth service, with nearly 40 years of proven success in creating positive friendships that benefit children, volunteers, families and the West Michigan community.
Browse by Month »