09/27/2012 1:20 PM
- GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. –
The Grand Rapids Griffins will host their fifth annual “Pups and Pucks” Fall Walk-a-Thon presented by BeeneGarter L.L.P. on Monday, Oct. 15 at Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary in Lake Odessa, Mich.
Griffins players, coaches and front office staff will walk rescued dogs for pledges made by fans online at firstgiving.com/mackenzies/pupsandpucks2012
. The festivities are set to begin at 5 p.m. and will feature a variety of family-friendly activities before and after the event. Fans are also encouraged to register and collect their own pledges leading up to the Walk-a-Thon.
Everyone is encouraged to attend (with or without a dog to walk) and assist in raising funds and awareness for Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary, the largest no-kill sanctuary in the Midwest, as they work to find loving homes for abused, abandoned and neglected dogs. Mackenzie’s also works to stop the cycle of unwanted litters through spay/neuters, assists in public education for the betterment of the local animal community, and maintains high standards of care for animals, including veterinary care.
A full schedule of the evening’s activities include:
• Live Music
– From 5-8:30 p.m.;
• BBQ Dinner
– Provided by FOODesign by Chef Brech;
• Hay Rides
– Enjoy a hay ride around the sanctuary;
• Puppy Pumpkin Decorating
– Create a puppy pumpkin using paints and other fun materials at the arts and crafts station;
• Best-Dressed Doggie Contest
– Best-dressed dog wins a prize;
• Pet Experts and Vendors
– A variety of animal professionals, including Dr. Richard Bennett, and pet vendors will be available to share information about their services and answer questions about your pet needs;
• Live and Silent Auctions
– Features items ranging from team-signed Griffins jerseys, spa packages and Bissell vacuums, to celebrity-signed merchandise and local restaurant gift certificates;
• Caricature Artists
– Get a caricature painted of you and your four-legged friend;
– From 5-7:30 p.m., have your dog microchipped for $20 with the “Home Again” anti-migration chip;
• Bake Sale
– Snack on a delicious treat or get one to take home;
• Petting Zoo
– Fans are welcome to enjoy a petting zoo presented by Farm Animals on the Go!
Fans wishing to participate in the Walk-a-Thon are encouraged, but not required, to collect pledges for the event. There is a $10 entry fee per person attending, but children 12 and under are free. The top fundraisers will receive prizes. After registering, fans can easily personalize their fundraising page by uploading photos before emailing it to friends and family.
Anyone bringing a dog to walk must register their dog and present proof of healthcare and vaccinations, either by faxing it to Mackenzie’s office (616-855-2285) or by submitting it with their registration form. Registration begins at 5 p.m., but fans are encouraged to pre-register online to speed up the check-in process. The first 100 people to pre-register will receive a Walk-a-Thon t-shirt and goodie bag upon checking in.
Over its first four years, the event has raised enough funds to build Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary’s on-site veterinary clinic building. Money raised this year will go towards furnishing the necessary medical equipment for the clinic. The new clinic furthers the mission of providing high standards of care for animals and enables them to provide spay/neuters, dental exams, x-rays and routing vaccinations and check-ups.
For more information, or to make a donation, please visit mackenzies.info